When it comes to engagement sessions, there’s always a lot more to plan. Whether or not to invite family or friends, choosing the perfect location, coordinating outfits and hair and makeup—the list goes on.
Engagement sessions are an important part of the wedding planning process. They allow you to get comfortable in front of the camera, and they give your photographer a chance to see how you work together before photographing your amazing wedding photos!
You might have some reservations about these sessions, but don’t worry! We’ve got some tips for how to get ready for your engagement session so that you can focus on the important stuff.
Engagement Session Outfits
About two weeks before your engagement session, start planning your outfit. This will give you some time to go shopping for in-season styles if you don’t already have something to wear.
Make sure you choose something that will make you feel comfortable & make you feel confident. There’s nothing better than seeing your images with you at your best. Confidence always wins.
- Wear clothing that is flattering and versatile for your body types. Consider going with a color scheme that can be mixed and matched easily, so you’ll have options to wear again or borrow from friends if needed (or photograph well).
- What is the weather going to be like? Are you inside or outside? What season is your wedding going to be in? These questions are constructive when figuring out what you want your final images to look like. Plus, it helps them become cohesive with your wedding images and makes your visual story even more robust.
- If you are planning an outdoor session, consider what time of day you will have your photos taken. This is especially important if you are looking for soft light/boho-inspired or sunset photos.
- Think of the style your photographer shoots. If you chose them for your engagement session because their images are dark and moody, then wearing all black won’t be the best choice. You want to be the subject, not blend into the scene.
If you are just not sure what to wear, ask your photographer! Maybe you can bring a few outfit changes, or see if you can send over some pictures or ask them what colors and styles they might suggest.
PROTIP: Pinterest is SUPER helpful for this.
Practice poses with one another. This will make getting into photos together much easier during the session and make it more natural for both of you.
- Accessorize, but don’t overdo it. Feel free to bring a few accessories with you and ask your photographer.
- Get your nails done! Choose a neutral palette or a classic french tip so you can show off that ring.
- Don’t use too much makeup. Going to a beauty bar or bringing your professional makeup artist with you and doing it for you can be a big help. If it’s in your engagement photo budget, your photographer may even have one available to work with.
- If you plan on coloring your hair, give yourself about a week or two before the session to get it done. This way, your hair will look more natural because the color will have set.
- If you don’t usually go tanning, don’t start right before your session. Especially if it is self-tanning, you don’t want to be orange in your photos.
- Guys, shave a day or two before your shoot and opt for a professional cut if you haven’t had one in a while! (bearded men, this applies to you too. Trim and shape accordingly)
- Clean your engagement ring!
Engagement sessions are one of the most popular photography services in the United States and can be a great way for couples to explore their relationship and connect with each other.
A successful engagement session is different for everyone and what you want to get out of it may change over time so remember to be yourself and have fun!
Coordinate with your spouse to be, but please don’t wear identical outfits. Don’t be that couple.